REVIEW: The Pregnant Widow - Martin Amis

What great value an Amis novel is.

I don't subscribe to his late father's view that he should show off his literary talents a little less. I'm in the  'if you've got 'em, flaunt 'em' camp. And Amis has them in abundance.

But it's not been easy for me to read Amis ever since becoming obsessed with the quality of London Fields back in the Nineties. Topping that is as close to an impossible task as you can get. So it was good to see the return of a Keith to his work, Nearing this time, not Talent, and a few nods to the latter's stomping ground of Queensway.

As expected, I found invention on every page, sharp dialogue, cliche-free description and a bunch of twentysomethng characters spending a summer in Italy thinking about having sex with each other.

Certainly a rewarding read for Amis aficionados, but if you're new to the great man's work, may I suggest you head over to London Fields first.

No comments:

Post a Comment