Createspace. Any point?

Now, much as I'd like to say I write to be read, and want as many people as possible to read my stuff, there's no doubt that it'd be nice to make a little bit of pocket money out of this business.

And that's what the digital versions of my books are currently doing, with the emphasis very much on 'little'. At the moment.

But what about good old print? It's still the most popular medium for the vast majority of readers, I suspect, though I have no evidence to support this. So it figures that it's a good idea to give your readers format options, right? No access to Kindles or Nobos or iPads or whatever? Nobo problem. Just look me up on Createspace and there's a good old paper version for you.

Trouble is, it works out very expensive. To make even a few pence profit out of it,  an author has to price their books upwards of $6. And given punters can get books by established authors for around that, or even less, who the hell is going to shell out that much for a book by an unknown? I've even seen some books going for upwards of $16.

That hasn't stopped me from producing a createspace version of The Money Star, of course (remember, I AM DELUDED). But it does stop me bothering to check my sales figures. Because unless I catch someone crazily drunk, or in an insanely generous mood, I'm not going to shift shit.

Which is why I haven't even bothered putting a link to my createspace page here.


No comments:

Post a Comment