REVIEW: IT by Stephen King

Got there.

It took over a year but I finally nailed this epic doorstop of a tome.
But I'm not sure how I can review it, as I can't remember the first half of it (like I said, it's taken me over a year). All I know is a lot of people died, some getting dragged into the gutter, like loose dog stools. Nasty way to go.

It was long, IT. Short title, long book. Could it have been trimmed in places? Quite possibly. But I'm no editor or hairdresser.

It was certainly episodic, flipping between viewpoints and locations and eras, the 1950s childhood of its seven protagonists raised in Derry the main focus, together with their 1985 return to deal with the 'demon' that lurked within the sewers of their hometown.

This was my first taster of the king, King, and I'm not sure if it's his jewel in the crown, but hey, there was enough to keep me interested for a year and 1116 pages (of small, tightly packed words).

There was plenty of the nasty side of humunkind on display within its many and yes, varied pages, as well as more swearing than I expected. Dunno why I expected less, just did.

You've got to read some King in your life, aintcha, and I've done that now, and I might be back for more, though I'll be aiming for something a bit more concise that'll take me less than a year. ***

PS I struggled to find an exact replica of the cover of the version of the book I read. The one above is closest, although on mine, the author's name is in gold with King way bigger than Stephen, and the balloon is on the other side of the gutter. Have I got a rarity on my hands here, or does this cover move like that picture Bill Denbrough has? Don't answer that, I've got to sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment