The Top 5 Self Publishing Platforms of 2017

This annual look at the most effective self-publishing platforms for indie authors is a little later than normal, and a little shorter too.

2017 has seen a big contraction in the number of different publishing options for indie authors. In fact, I'm down to two.

CREATE SPACE has lost it for me. Once Amazon made it possible to sell paperbacks via their platform so long as you weren't on CreateSpace, it was so long CreateSpace.

DRAFT2 DIGITAL never delivered anything other than sluggish sales, so had to go.

KOBO annoyed with its exclusivity smallprint rip off that required me to contact them direct to release my books from their grip.

So just two nominees left:

2nd: SMASHWORDS - my worst year on the platform. Maybe it was down to not having released a new book for so long. But the platform is suffering from having just too many books on there and not enough eyes prepared to read the billions of words it generates each year.

WINNER: AMAZON - my books have spent much of the year of KDP Select with mixed results, but certainly more success and bigger earnings than Smashwords generated. With 2018 seeing the release of my 5th novel A Big Bluff And Some Green Stuff, I'm hoping the new year will rekindle my enthusiasm for indie authorship... Amazon wins in 2017, for the third year in a row, but there's no glory here.

PREVIOUS WINNERS:
2014 Smashwords
2015 Amazon
2016 Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment